Porter

Well I guess its about time that I actually blog about our newest little addition!

Porter Lee Merrill was born on October 26th, 2012 at 10:33 am. He weighed 7 lbs. 7 oz. and was 19 inches long.



Let me just tell you that this kid is awesome! He doesn't cry.. like at all. Oh, but don't worry, he is still noisy just in a different way. Porter is a grunter. Its pretty cute... hard to sleep through, but pretty cute :D

Ok now that I have said that I guess I should record somewhere about when he was born....The whole experience was completely different than when I had Aaron. It just proved to me more that not only is each woman different when it comes to labor and being pregnant but also that each pregnancy is different. For my own remembering purposes I have made notes with asterisks for differences.

At about 3 in the morning I was woken up and realized soon after that my water had broken. I wasn't having any contractions so I was a little confused. **My water broke after I had gone into labor with Aaron and we were already at the hospital at that point** So I went and woke up Bryce and then went and called the hospital. They told me to shower and try and eat something if I could and try to come in within the next couple of hours. At this point I was still surprised that I hadn't felt any contractions at all and went to take a shower. While in the shower I started to feel little contractions, and I felt a little more urgency to get to the hospital. We finished getting everything together (thankfully I was more prepared this time) and headed out. I was so prepared that I already had the money ready for our toll. We almost missed the road for the hospital thinking we were on the other side and it would be a right turn when it was actually a left. Thankfully I noticed the big blue sign just in time.  **I was laying down in the car when we were on our way to the hospital with Aaron and could not pay attention to anything at all besides breathing** We pulled up to the main entrance to drop the car off to be valet parked and I walked into the hospital. **I HAD to have a wheel chair with Aaron because I could not walk** Then we checked in and went downstairs to L&D where I was very grateful that I wasn't put into one of the triage rooms first! **I was put in triage with Aaron... they weren't sure if I was "in labor" yet (I was and I knew it!!!!) They didn't take me into an LDR until my water broke.**

So our awesome nurse took us into an LDR and I still wasn't having very intense contractions so I was surprised. Seriously, my nurse was the best! I told her right away that as soon as they would do it I would like an epidural and when my contractions started to get worse she kept reminding people that I wanted help with pain. I could tell that she was really concerned with my comfort and I was grateful for that.... And I wish I could still remember her name! Sadly I didn't have her the whole time, her shift was over at 7 and she was replaced by 2 nurses. I am usually okay with there being more nurses because there is someone in training. The only problem I had this time was one of them would check my progression and then the other one checked me after. I was not very happy. The nurse being trained took too long and was having a hard time.... Moving on...

Just a little before 8 I finally got my epidural and everything calmed down nicely after that. The medicine wasn't very even so I had to lay on my left side for a while. The midwife from my doctor's office came in at some point and was debating wether or not she should run to her appointments that morning or stay at the hospital... so she worked on some paperwork and see where I was after that. I felt bad for making her wait around. I find it funny because not a few minutes before she came in all I could think about was concentrating on breathing and then all of the sudden I was feeling bad for someone having to wait around for me. Oh the change that happens when the pain goes away!

Around 10 I told the nurses that I felt like I wanted to push but I was only at an 8... not fun. Then about 2 minutes later I was really feeling ready but I wasn't about to call the nurses and tell them again that I wanted to push when they had just come in... a very bad choice. I just laid in that bed, holding Bryce's hand, wanting to call them so badly but not wanting to. When it became too much to handle, I gave in and called them. If I remember correctly I said "I want to push" in a not so nice voice and then they all appeared. The 2 nurses checked me again and I was at a 10 and they could feel the baby's head. They said "Oh yeah you are ready" and I just wanted to yell "UM..... YA THINK?!?!?!?!" but I held that in. They pulled out all their little stations they had prepared and got everything ready.

The pushing went on for barely 10 minutes **I pushed close to 30 with Aaron** but it felt like at least an hour. Bryce and I have both described the whole pushing experience to people and just laughed at how ridiculous it was. I had an out of body experience in which I was saying things like "I'm done pushing, just pull him out" and "No I am done, I can't do it any more." It's quite embarrassing and entertaining to recall. But then it was over and that sweet little boy was laying on me and I bawled! It is the sweetest experience to go through so much and then have this adorable, sweet miracle in your arms.

I am grateful every day for my 2 sweet little boys. They are an amazing blessing in my life and I would never choose to go back to my life before I had them! I am also very blessed to have the most amazing husband who is absolutely perfect for me. He is my balance and my strength and I know that I would not be able to get through what I have without him. Love you Bruce ;)

Comments

Popular Posts