Ah the Joys of Rexburg!

So... I've been going to school here in Rexburg for just over a year and will be done in a year. But it has been a wonderful semester so far. I got my clusters approved (for all of you non BYU-Idahoans, clusters are like having 2 half minors) a couple of weeks ago so I am right on schedule to graduate December of 2009 and I am thrilled! Now I just have to make sure that I pass all of my classes. I'm studying communications with my emphasis in Public Relations and I want to either go into events planning or graphic design. I have been doing some publicity for dances on campus and I have loved doing that and would love to do something similar to it as a career. These are the posters I have made this semester:
I have a new love for three Adobe programs; Indesign, Illustrator, and Photoshop. Its an odd obsession I have with them, I use them for almost every assignment I have, but they make everything so aesthetically pleasing and I love it! . 
For all of you who have lived in Rexburg, Idaho you know of the joyful cold that does not slowly approach every year. This year has been a shock to everyone because we have yet to retain snow so far. It has snowed at least 2 times, but it never sticks, and everyone is shocked. I, however, am not (And I have no reason to complain either.) There is a beautifully large auditorium on campus that still needs its outside finished, hence, no snow. Thanks President Clark!
Another exciting Rexburg phenomenon is vacation time. This past week we did not have school at all, due to Thanksgiving, and this place became a ghost town. There were still quite a few people here, but the students make up half the population of Rexburg, and when they all go home, its a little odd. I stayed here to have dinner with my sister and her family, and my brother and his fiance. It was a lot of fun, and kind of nice to not be surrounded by students all the time. And there were no awkward Porter Park moments, as many of us have witnessed. The most exciting things that happened this week were going to the hospital with my brother-in-law and sister (not too exciting of a reason, so not much to report there), getting my hair fixed for 3 hours, black friday, and twilight. 
Getting my hair fixed was an interesting task. A couple of weeks ago, I decided to do something to my hair because it was bothering me, however, the measures ended up being a lot more drastic than I preferred, and so my sister's neighbor (who works at Trade Secret) offered her services. The best part of the whole process was the foils that made me look like I had a mohawk, as seen below:

And after 3 hours in the chair, my hair is back to a more natural look. There are some remains of the first experiment, it is a lot less noticeable. I am very attached to my hair and I know it was silly to change it in the first place, but we are allowed to make silly mistakes every once and a while right?
Black Friday: a day when crazy women, and even crazier men wake up extremely early in order to hit the "biggest sales of the season." Most stores now opening as early as 4 am! This has always been an amazing thing to observe, the rush, the lines, the hundreds of people spending hundreds of money all before 10 am in order to spend the least amount of money for presents. My sister and 2 of her friends went to Idaho Falls this past friday to partake in this lovely event. We arrived at about 5:30 or so, and there was no parking almost everywhere we went! The first place we went was Kohls... which had a line to check out that almost completely wrapped around the whole store, needless to say, we didn't even really look to buy anything there.  Then we went to the mall, which wasn't as bad. Target was insane, but the lines weren't long, which was nice. When we had driven past Wal-Mart the first time there was no parking, and when we went to shop there, almost everyone was gone. We were lucky to not get caught in too many places with too many people. The best part of the day was when we went to Winco. My sister and I had to pick up one thing each and there was probably a total of 10 cars in the whole lot, since everyone had eaten the day before!
Last but not least was Twilight. I read the first two books in the series during the break and saw the movie on Thanksgiving. They are definitely placed in the Young adult literature section for a reason, but I found them every intriguing and I am excited to read the last 2 books. I liked the movie as a representation of the books, but never to be the same. The funny part was the movie made me miss home a lot, the green.... oh how I miss the green. Only 2 more weeks and school will be done for the semester and I will be home. 
I hope everyone had a wonderful thanksgiving! And I'm sorry that this post is more like a novel, but I was my first... so I have some leeway I suppose. 

Comments

Popular Posts