Another one.... Really?

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/opinion/2017383343_gerson01.html?prmid=obinsite

This is very very interesting to me. This article is an opinion article, which honestly, I don't often read. However, it caught my eye.

I personally believe that whatever form of birth control you do or do not use is up to you and yours.... but to force religious institutions (In this case Catholic Institutions) to have to pay for their own health insurance because they don't believe in your opinion is wrong.

Interestingly enough there was a Supreme Court ruling recently involving employment discrimination that stated that religious institutions could make their own hiring and firing decisions without the government's interference. A New York Times article stated "'The interest of society in the enforcement of employment discrimination statutes is undoubtedly important,' Chief Justice John G. Roberts Jr. wrote in a decision that was surprising in both its sweep and its unanimity. 'But so, too, is the interest of religious groups in choosing who will preach their beliefs, teach their faith and carry out their mission.'"

The Supreme Court feels that religious institutions have a right to make their own decisions when it comes to preaching their beliefs, but the president feels that people who's beliefs are different then his should be punished when it comes to protecting your overall well being. That the government should take it upon themselves to enforce their beliefs on religion. Hum..... sounds a little bit like the reason that people left England in the first place, so that they could worship how they wanted to and not be forced by the government to believe or worship how they wanted them to.

Now, don't get me wrong, I am not calling Obama King George. But I wonder where anyone can believe that this decision is right.

What is even more interesting to me are the comments left on this article. Many readers were saying that Catholics are trying to force their beliefs on the government by covering them under their own requirements. It is simply not that. The Catholic church stands against the use of such things as birth control, the morning after pill, and abortions. So why should they be singled out in general health care coverage because they will not offer these things to patrons, for example, in their hospitals or university clinics. There are always other places that have birth control available and where people can find it if they want it. They have a right as a private institution to refuse those methods to patrons.

I am not Catholic, but I worry that political moves such as this will begin a wave of acceptance from others and will encourage the the growing movement of religious intolerance that is spreading in this country.

Comments

  1. This kind of thing comes from both sides. Right-wing groups are trying to enforce their beliefs -- like that life begins at conception -- on everyone too, based on their religious convictions that not everyone in this country shares. So personally, when I heard about this birth control story, I thought it was an interesting way of making the same kind of argument that the other side makes. As an atheist, I am horrified to think that someday there could be a law passed saying that I have to give birth to a child if I get pregnant no matter what, or get some back alley abortion if I want a way out of it. I DON'T believe I should have to put the life of a cluster of cells above my own life. I know you don't share that view, but there it is anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Kathy!

    Laura- I know where you are coming from. There are some that feel they want to enforce their beliefs on others but I don't feel like it is ALWAYS this way. I think that when people state opinions, those who don't feel that way become offended and think that they want the person listening to HAVE to agree with them. Everyone has a right to think the way that they do, and I have no problem with you thinking the way you do or anyone else who feels that way. I don't think that there will ever be a middle ground where people will be happy on this particular topic. I do feel that life begins at conception, and the reason why I feel this way is because I have felt it. I knew when I was pregnant with aaron because I could feel a change within me. I could feel something different and it was beautiful. Bryce and I were trying to get pregnant though... when we are not trying we use birth control. As long as people are smart about it they don't have to worry, and I just wish more people were smart about the use of their body and this wouldn't be as big of an issue. It is miraculous to me that a woman's body comes fully equipped to create another person from tint tiny cells and if all woman were responsible with that knowledge then maybe this issue could be void.

    Being a mother is the best thing that has ever happened to me. I am such a better person because of it. It makes me sad to think that the best lesson I have learned from becoming a mom, that of becoming selfless, is the biggest issue why people don't want to ever have children, because of selfishness. I am NOT saying that you are selfish Laura, at all, because I know you want to have children. It just makes me sad that there are people who never want to have children, ever, and that can't be responsible enough to think of that before hand.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts